Call for Art!
Compendium Juried Exhibition
April 20, 2019-June 9, 2019
Artists living within a 50-mile radius of the Lehigh Valley are invited to submit artwork for consideration to the third-annual juried exhibition, Compendium.
Compendium, is designed to highlight the thriving artistic community of the Lehigh Valley and region and to showcase the diverse array of multi-disciplinary artists. In addition, the exhibition promotes the Artist Collective program at the Banana Factory Arts Center which offers creative networking, professional development, and career opportunities for visual artists.
This year the exhibition will be juried by Tim Higgins. Higgins is a working artist and freelance writer, arts journalist, editor, reporter, and publisher living and working in the Lehigh Valley for the past 35 years. Higgins, who has interviewed and written about many major artists working on the international, national and regional levels, including Roy Lichtenstein, Jamie Wyeth, Judy Pfaff, Angel Suarez, Roger Dean, Greg Weaver, Mort Kunstler, Adal Maldonado, and a host of others, remains committed to promoting the visual arts in and around the Lehigh Valley.
Awards will be announced during First Friday, May 3, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. All awards will be given at the discretion of the Juror.
Prizes are listed below:
First place: $250
Second place: $150
Third place: $50
Deadline to submit is March 3
Submission Guidelines & Eligibility
- This exhibition is open to all two-dimensional work including photography, paintings, drawings, digital, mixed media, fibers, chalk, ink, pastels, wax, graphite and printmaking, plus three-dimensional works that fit within an 18X18” footprint.
- Each artist may submit up to 3 images (high resolution preferred, JPEG required) on our Formstack for jurying. Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S copyright laws.
- Along with the images, each artist is required to submit a short bio and an artist statement limited to one page total.
- A non-refundable entry fee is $25 for up to 3 submissions. Entry is waived for current Artist Collective Members.
- Entry and entry fee may be submitted and paid on-line. You will be redirected to a payment screen following the completion of the form below. Artist may also send check, and signed agreement with entry forms to:
Attn: Hillary Harper
Banana Factory Arts Center
25 W Third Street
Bethlehem, PA 18015
- Any practicing artist is eligible to submit. While the Visual Artist Collective is based in the Lehigh Valley, artists from anywhere in the country are welcome to take part.
- Artists will be required to drop off work at the Banana Factory for final jurying. A preliminary selection will be made by the juror from digital submissions, but final inclusion is contingent on this in-person jurying.
- Applications missing entry payments, images, or incomplete entry forms will not considered.
Requirements for all accepted work:
- All submitted work must be professionally presented. All framed work must be behind glass or plexi in a clean frame, with wire properly attached to the back of the frame. Work that requires unusual hanging will need to be discussed in advance. Please e-mail Hillary Harper, Senior Manager of Visual Arts, at email@example.com to discuss hanging needs further.
- All work must also be labeled on back with name, title, medium, and price. If work is not for sale, please label NFS, but provide a value of the work.
- Shipped work must include return shipping and proper packaging. Insurance is highly recommended for shipped work. ArtsQuest is not responsible for providing return shipping and cannot return work until artist provides pre-paid shipping.
- All work must include protective packaging whether it is being shipped or dropped off. This can include cardboard, corner protectors, bubble wrap, paper, boxes, etc. This ensures the protection of all work during pick up and drop off times. All packaging will be kept neat by ArtsQuest staff for the duration of the show and will be removed and repacked by staff.
- Entries must be no larger than 48 inches by 48 inches to the outside dimensions of the frame or piece (if no frame is used).
- All work must be claimed by 6/24/2019. ArtsQuest is not responsible for storing or retaining any artwork past this date.
**The final decision regarding the suitability of all artwork included in the exhibition will be made at the time of the installation. ArtsQuest and Juror has the right to refuse any artwork at the time of installation due to nature of framing, display, and significant different between submitted image and actual work.**
Deadline for submission with up to three images and entry fee of $25
|March 22||Notification of preliminary acceptance or un-acceptance will be made by e-mail.|
Drop off/shipment arrival of accepted work. Drop off hours for Saturday, April 13 are 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Drop off hours for weekdays are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. All shipped work must arrive by 5 p.m. on April 13. If an artist is unable to drop off work on those dates and times, you must contact Nicole Gencarelli at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a drop off time. Work dropped off without proper arrangements outside of the drop off times will not be accepted by staff. Work arriving/received after April 13th is subject to not be hung in the exhibition.
|April 15-19||Final Jurying and installation in the Crayola Gallery at the Banana Factory Arts Center|
|April 20||Exhibition opens|
|May 3||Opening Reception and First Friday event from 6-9 p.m., Southside Arts and Music Festival|
|May 3 & 4||Southside Arts and Music Festival|
|June 7||Additional First Friday and Artist Collective Reception|
|June 9||Exhibition closes|
|June 10-15||Pick-up work at Banana Factory. Pick up hours on weekdays are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Pick up hours on Saturday, June 15 are 10 a.m.-1 p.m. All shipped work with correct packaging and return shipping information will be shipped no later than June 22, 2019. ArtsQuest is not responsible for providing return shipping and cannot return work until artist provides pre-paid shipping. If an artist is unable to make the pick-up times, you must contact email@example.com in advance to arrange a time. All work must be picked up by June 24, 2019. ArtsQuest is not responsible for storing or retaining any artwork past this date.|