On the first Friday of every month, South Bethlehem comes alive for a community celebration. Local merchants, restaurants and galleries open their doors to celebrate our awesome community. Our First Friday activities are headquartered at the Banana Factory Arts Center – The fun kicks off at 6pm each month and wraps up around 9pm.
- Learn more about the Banana Factory
- Check out our Banana Factory Resident Artists
- View the art classes we offer at the Banana Factory and the ArtsQuest Center
Interested in having a presence at First Fridays in the Banana Factory Arts Center? Please fill out the application below! Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis, and applicants will be notified via phone or email if they have been accepted.
February 3, 2017 · Happenings
This event is FREE for everyone, family friendly and full of creative activities!
- Live Painting Demonstration by Abbey Rosko, exhibiting in the Hallway to the Arts – Crayola Gallery, 6:30-8:30pm
- Compendium Juried Exhibition – Exhibition Opening and Reception, Crayola Gallery, 6-9pm
- Community Weaving Project – Banko Gallery, 6-9pm
The Community Weaving project is inspired by other identity tapestries created around the world by artist Mary March and her many participants. Participants create the piece by wrapping yarn around different statements that reflect their thoughts and feelings about identity. As people complete the piece, they are not only creating a portrait of themselves, but also learning about the people around them. In the end, the weaving becomes a group portrait of the area and the people who live there. We hope this weaving creates a thought provoking image of our community in the Lehigh Valley. A special thank you to Kraemer Yarns for donating the yarn used in this installation!
- Steel City Fiber Artists Installation piece and knitting circle – Banko Gallery, 6-9pm
- FREE Craft! Make a small bouquet of paper flowers for your sweetheart (or yourself!) with teaching artist Kavita Karecha – Visual Arts Classroom, 6-9pm
- FREE Activity! Design a postcard with Teaching Artist Beth McFadden to send your Senator or representative and tell them how you think they’re doing – Studio 202, 6-9pm
- Girl Scout Cookies for Sale! Proceeds benefit the Eastern PA Girl Scouts – outside Crayola Gallery, 5-9pm
- Featured Resident Artists:
Angie Snyder Lande – Studio 218A
NEW Resident Artist Katelyn Lau – Studio 346 (stop by and welcome her!)
- When Stars on High: Paintings by Abbey Rosko – Hallway to the Arts
- Community Weaving Project – Banko Gallery
- Compendium Juried Exhibition – Crayola Gallery
Throughout the Building…….
Visit all the Resident Artist studios and meet the individuals creating the incredible work on display throughout the Banana Factory.
Additional public parking is available across the street from the Banana Factory at the Riverport Garage.
First Friday is sponsored by: